Teriyaki Pork Rounds with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Rice
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 5-6 people
When it comes to cooking, my Italian genes suggest I should love spending hours in the kitchen chopping, stirring, prepping – but sadly, I just don’t. Please don’t judge!! Sure, I love watching videos of other people cooking from Tasty (http://www.tasty.com) online – but the reality is, these recipes usually get filed into the abyss of some iPhone folder to never been seen again.
With three young kids, a husband and a busy home to take care of, I find cooking more of a chore – less of an artform. Especially as an American expat living abroad in Spain, cooking our favorites from home can be complicated. Finding the right ingredients like Pillsbury crescent rolls for example (which was a staple back in New Jersey for tons of recipes!) is a challenge.
These days I go for ease, convenience, flavor (of course!) and with some component of healthy involved ha!
So, I couldn’t resist sharing this simple recipe. It’s soo simple to make, takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and all five of us enjoyed eating it! The meat is tender and juicy, the veggies are tasty and refreshing – just the perfect combination on a steamy summer night in Spain.
Hope you try it and share your experience with me!
- 3 packages of boneless pork rounds (depending on the quantity packaged in your store. Here in Spain, each package contains just 3 pork rounds, so I typically buy 3 packages for 9 total rounds. We’re a family of FIVE!)
- 1 250mL bottle any brand teriyaki sauce (for this recipe I’ve used Hacendado from Barcelona’s Mercadona Grocery Store)
- 1/4 cup of any preferred cooking oil (lately, I’ve been using avocado oil for EVERYthing!)
- 1 whole zucchini – chopped/peeled (I buy these pre-peeled!)
- 4 medium carrots – chopped/peeled (Ditto!)
- 2 small red onions – chopped/peeled (Ditto!)
- half yellow squash – chopped/peeled (Same!)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- garlic salt & crushed pepper for flavoring
- 2 cups long grain or basmati rice (either white or brown)
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
In a 9×13 glass baking pan, layed chopped vegetables. Drizzle with cooking oil and season with oregano, garlic salt & pepper.
Unpackage pork rounds, rinse in warm water and layer directly on top of vegetables.
With a basting brush, cover each pork round with a generous amount of teriyaki sauce. Stick glass pan in oven uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove from oven when meat is browned on top but not shriveled.
Lastly, prepare your brown or white rice by filling a saucepan with 3 cups of water for every one cup of rice (so for this recipe, I used 2 cups of rice and 6 cups water. Bring water and rice to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water fully absorbed. Remove from burner and season with a pinch of salt. My kids enjoy a pat of melted butter mixed into rice as well…shhh!
Serve together and enjoy!! Have you tried this recipe? Please let me know how you and your family liked it!